[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next] - [Date Index][Thread Index][Author Index]

Re: Callsign procedure question

On Sat, Jan 26, 2002 at 04:09:33PM +0900, Bob McElligott wrote:
> I need help from some of you experienced DXers.
> The callsign issued me by the Korean government when I requested a guest 
> operating permit is HL2/KK4UZ.  The HL2 prefix is the Korean district call, 
> followed by my US callsign.   During the this morning's early Pacific pass 
> of AO-40 (#571 according to Nova), when I called or was being called by 
> some one, there was a great deal of confusion concerning my call 
> sign.  Particularly, by hams from non-native English speaking countries.
> Phonetically I said "Hotel Lima Two stroke Kilo Kilo Four Uniform 
> Zulu."   The term "stroke" seemed to confuse everyone.  To the best of my 
> knowledge, years ago before the IARU changed the procedure, it was proper 
> to use my US callsign first (KK4UZ) then add portable HL2.
> What is the correct procedure for SSB contacts using my particular 
> callsign?  Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

You stated your callsign properly.  I suspect that had you operated on
the HF bands (where such portable operation is more common than on the
satellite frequencies) there would not have been much confusion.

73, Bob N7XY

Bob Nielsen, N7XY                          nielsen@oz.net
Bainbridge Island, WA                      http://www.oz.net/~nielsen
IOTA NA-065, USI WA-028S 
Via the amsat-bb mailing list at AMSAT.ORG courtesy of AMSAT-NA.
To unsubscribe, send "unsubscribe amsat-bb" to Majordomo@amsat.org