Callsign procedure question

I need help from some of you experienced DXers.

The callsign issued me by the Korean government when I requested a guest
operating permit is HL2/KK4UZ.  The HL2 prefix is the Korean district call,
followed by my US callsign.   During the this morning's early Pacific pass
of AO-40 (#571 according to Nova), when I called or was being called by
some one, there was a great deal of confusion concerning my call
sign.  Particularly, by hams from non-native English speaking countries.

Phonetically I said "Hotel Lima Two stroke Kilo Kilo Four Uniform
Zulu."   The term "stroke" seemed to confuse everyone.  To the best of my
knowledge, years ago before the IARU changed the procedure, it was proper
to use my US callsign first (KK4UZ) then add portable HL2.

What is the correct procedure for SSB contacts using my particular
callsign?  Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

73, Bob  HL2/KK4UZ