Re: question

> To: <amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org>
> Subject: [amsat-bb] question
> Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 07:50:12 -0500
>
> is it legal, for a tech to transmit on an uplink on 2 meters, when the
> downlink is on 10 meters.  this is probably as old as the hills as far as
> questions go but I say it is legal, and some say it isnt.  being I amnot the
> control operator, and whoever operates the bird is, and probably holds an
> extra ticket, it is ok, correct?? please someone let e know, so I can stop
> talking about this with my friend.

>From the General question pool:

  G1E02 @G1A10 (D) [97.205a]
  Under what circumstances may a 10-meter repeater retransmit the 2-meter
  signal from a Technician class operator?
  A.  Under no circumstances
  B.  Only if the station on 10 meters is operating under a Special
  Temporary Authorization allowing such retransmission
  C.  Only during an FCC-declared general state of communications
  emergency
  D.  Only if the 10-meter control operator holds at least a General
  class license

The (D) on the first line indicates the correct answer, namely that
it is legal for a tech to  transmit on a 2 meter uplink, when the downlink
is 10 meters (assuming the control operator of the satellite is licensed
to use 10 meters).

(I have never seen any claim that the same reasoning can not be
applied to satellites as is applied to terrestrial repeaters.)

-tjs