Re: MAROC-TUBSAT -- a review

On Thu, 24 Jan 2002, RaySoifer wrote:

> As always, you're entitled to voice your opinion, which I've always
> considered worth listening to even though I may not agree.  I fail to see,
> however, what possible good can come to amateur radio from having a strong
> FM signal on 144.1 MHz.

But, as of today, I thought it was gone?

I think most of us at one time or another have made mistakes in HAM
radio (Several years ago I left my PACSAT station once with the uplink
tuned to the local  favorite voice repeater, until a team of DF'ers
knocked on my door!...).  Fortunately we all knew each other and so it was
a learning experince for us all...

I agree, that the FM signal shouldn't be there, but I just suggest a
cautionary approach until we find out more...  A simple call to the owners
with a polite comment on the appropriateness of FM in the CW band might
be sufficient.  Maybe the absence of the signal today is because they
have learned of their mistake and have corrected it...?

A knock-down-their-door approach until we know if the intent is malicious
(I dont think so) does not leave us in a good negotiating position for
what might come next?

Bob