From: <K5OE@aol.com>
To: <ac9r@home.com>
Cc: <amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org>
Sent: Thursday, January 24, 2002 8:28 AM
Subject: Re: [amsat-bb] What's Wrong?

> Robert,
> The G3RUH patch feed is certainly capable of receiving a good signal from
AO-40 without the adornment of a parabolic dish, as it has almost 10 dB of
gain.  Whether or not your dish is "transparent" is not something anyone
other than you could ascertain, but I can tell you the combination you have
will greatly over-illuminate the dish, allowing lots of extraneous RF into
the feed.  This extraneous RF probably includes lots of S-band reflections,
including AO-40's beacon.  I found testing S-band antennas anywhere within
20 meters of my house to be problematic due to the reflections off the solid
walls.

> I modelled the G3RUH patch pattern and ran the file through W1GHZ's
FEEDPAT program and determined the feed is optimum for a f/D ratio of 0.4.
The offset dish you have is probably more like 0.7 f/D (very "flat" like
most of the offset designs), thus greatly overilluminating the dish.

> You might try experimenting with extending the length of the scalar ring
James has built into the feed.  Using a straight edge or a string, go from
the center of the patch to the edge of the dish in the longest dimension,
then imagine the scalar ring extended to intersect the string as a guide on
how long the scalar ring should be to effect good edge-of-dish cutoff.

> BTW, the G3RUH feed had a maximum efficiency of 71 percent--at least 5
percent higher than any other feed design I have modelled.