From: Howard Long [mailto:howard@howardlong.com]
Sent: Wednesday, January 23, 2002 9:39 AM
To: gjmouse@neo.rr.com; amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org
Subject: RE: [amsat-bb] PSAT for Palm Pilot or Mc Pocket PC

Hello Gunther

> Has anyone had any luck running Windows programs like NOVA on a Compaq
> Pocket iPAQ running Microsoft Pocket PC v 3.0??

Two problems here:

o Nova (like almost all generic Windows apps) is an Intel 386 executable but
WinCE devices, due to their low power requirements, use RISC CPUs such as
SH3, MIPS and ARM devices and therefore will not directly run i386 code.

o WinCE is such a cut down and changed version of the Win32 API there's no
chance whatsoever that any program will recompile directly from source code
and work on the WinCE platform.

That's why a couple of folks (including me) spent a lot of time five years
ago writing PC emulators for Windows CE when it first came out so you could
at least run your DOS apps on it. Simulating an 8086 and the rest of the
basic PC architecture isn't too tough (it ain't easy either) but emulating
an i386 in software is an entirely different ball game.

73 Howard G6LVB