Re: compact 10-12A switching power supply

Hi Wayne...

Try the Astron SS line...  works on 110 or 220,  60 or 50 Hz.
Used one in St. Lucia last year.
http://home.wi.rr.com/n9uur/portablegear5.html

Gary

> Suppose (purely hypothetically) that I was going on a vacation to the Island of
> Guadeloupe and I wanted to do a vacation-style AO40 satellite operation while I
> was there.  I could bring along my FT-847.  For antennas, I could use a G3RUH
> dish (or homebrew umbrella antenna) and an Arrow antenna (7 elements on 435 MHz)
> mounted on a camera tripod.  Add other essential items such as coax cables,
> short crossboom, Heil headset, CW key, and that is a lot of stuff.  And that
> doesn't even include a laptop computer.  One way to minimize the total amount of
> "stuff" would be to use a very compact 12V switching power supply.  My FT-847
> draws about 11 Amps at max. power on 435 MHz, so I would need a switching power
> supply that can supply about 12 Amps peak, and would work with 110V or 220V
> input.  I would probably need to tweak the output voltage up to 14.5V so it
> could power the FT-847 and the TranSystem downconverter.  Can anybody recommend
> a particular model of switching power supply t! ha! ! t is extremely compact,
> but can supply 10-12A from 110V or 220V input?
>
> A final question.  I have a very old Palm Pilot which has 500kB of memory.  Is
> that enough to run the Palm tracking program that tracks high-orbit satellites?
> I forget the name of the program.
>
> Wayne Estes W9AE
> Mundelein, IL, USA

Gary Bargholz
http://home.wi.rr.com/n9uur/
AMSAT Area 9 Coordinator, Wisconsin
Chairman:  W.A.R. The WI Association of Repeaters
Treasurer:  M.R.C. The Milwaukee Repeater Club 146.910MHz PL 127.3
Owner:      N9UUR Repeater Milwaukee 442.425 MHz PL 127.3
                N9UUR-10 Milwaukee APRServe IGate (N9UUR.IMC.MU.EDU:23)