The Power of PCsat (& ISS)

The Power of PCsat (& ISS when on):

Walk outside with a packet HT, and send a message when PCsat(or ISS) flies
over. It will get to anywhere in the world to anyone LIVE within
seconds! Here are two examples:

  KM4HG>APRS,PCSAT-1*::WB4APR   :HI bob.  Sending this via PCsat

This one will go to [wb4apr] anywhere on the planet live assuming the
recepient has his radio on and is tuned to the local APRS frequency in his
area.

  K4HG>APRS,PCSAT-1*::EMAIL    :joe@juno.com Hi joe! Sending this via Sat

This one will be delivered by Email to the email address included in the
message (joe@juno.com for example).

What triggered me to post this email was when I got home last night I just
happened to look at my laptop that monitors the local terrestrial APRS
frequency and I saw the above message from KM4HG on MY screen.  At first,
I thought, that is impossible, since I never used that laptop or
that radio for aanything but 144.39, and never tuned to the satellite
and he does not have access to the uplink for the 144.39 downlink.

Duh... then I realized "the power of PCsat"....  Since any packets
digipeated by PCsat (or ISS) are picked up by various SAT-Gates and
injected into the worldwide APRS internet stream, then if the packet is a
message to someone, it will come out the other end -live- back to RF in
-his- area for delivery on his local APRS frequency anywhere in the world!

Of course, one should be more -amazed- when it does work, then when it
doesnt... after all, this is HAM radio.  But it shows the power and
potential of PCsat and ISS and any other digipeating satellite for getting
the message out AND DELIVERED via the amateur satellites and Satellite
monitoring satgates for the traveler...

So for fun, instead of sending your boring Gridsquare or posit, try
sending someone an Email via satellite! from your packet station.

Format for the data portion of the packet is:

    :EMAIL      :email@address.here and message goes here

Where the EMAIL field is padded with 6 additional spaces...and the leading
and ending colons are required.

Have fun!

de WB4APR@amsat.org, Bob