Re: NEW TO SATELLITES - HELP

Pete,

     A very good message!  First, do not try starting with RS-15.  It is
very challenging and often not working.  Your assumption is correct you have
"too good an antenna" for your 2 meter uplink.  What you need is an antenna
that is a real "cloud warmer".

     Many will recommend an "egg beater" type antenna.  They work well, but
are moderately difficult to construct.  A real quick and dirty antenna that
I used for years was a noninverted vee.  It will look like television
"rabbit ears" when you are done.  Cut two 50 cm pieces of wire.  Solder one
to the center conductor of your coax and the other to the shield.  Using
some fishing line or string, hang the antenna so the ends of the wires you
cut are about 75 cm apart.  You may need to prune the wires to get a good
match depending on what is around your antenna.  I worked 42 states here in
the U.S. on RS-10 (which was like RS-12) with one of these hanging under a
branch of my mulberry tree and my trusty 10 Watt FT-480R.  It is not a good
antenna for low angle passes, but it works great on higher ones.  It may
favor the broadside a little so having the ends run east and west may help.
I see no reason why an inverted vee wouldn't do as well, but this was easier
to mount.

     A turnstile or even a simple 2 meter dipole will also work well for
RS-12..

73 and Good Luck,
Joe
ka0yos@amsat.org