RE: NEW TO SATELLITES - HELP

> I plan to start at the basement and work the "Easy Sats"
> first, namely
> RS12 & RS15 until I get the hang of it all.

These days, RS-15 can't be considered an "easy sat".  RS-12 is pretty good.

> I have a dipole that I listen to the beacon on (29.408) where I can
> hear it without any trouble at all.
>
> My 2 Meter antenna is a base 5/8 Ground Independant Vertical.
>
> When I try and work into RS12, I hear my returned signal very
> faintly -
> no where near as loud as the beacon.  I have put this down to the
> vertical having a very low angle of radiation therefore when the sat
> passes over with anything greater than 30-45 degrees of elevation I
> can't hear myself at all.
>
> My question is:  What would be a good 2 Meter antenna to get
> me started
> off with and ensure I have reliable uplinks ??

Try a turnstile, eggbeater, quadrafiliar helix or Lindenblad.  These should
give better results.  I sometimes use a 2 element Yagi (handheld) which
gives excellent results on RS-12.

---
Outgoing mail has been scanned for viruses

This correspondence is for the named personís use only. It may contain