NEW TO SATELLITES - HELP

Thank you for reading this post.

I have always wanted to get into the Satellite mode of our hobby but
until now have never had the gear to do so.

I have now purchased a new FT-847 which gives me the capability to work
some of the birds out there.

I plan to start at the basement and work the "Easy Sats" first, namely
RS12 & RS15 until I get the hang of it all.

I have a dipole that I listen to the beacon on (29.408) where I can
hear it without any trouble at all.

My 2 Meter antenna is a base 5/8 Ground Independant Vertical.

When I try and work into RS12, I hear my returned signal very faintly -
no where near as loud as the beacon.  I have put this down to the
vertical having a very low angle of radiation therefore when the sat
passes over with anything greater than 30-45 degrees of elevation I
can't hear myself at all.

My question is:  What would be a good 2 Meter antenna to get me started
off with and ensure I have reliable uplinks ??

Best Regards
Pete VK4CCV

PS: Sorry for all the "I"s