Re: Satellite QRM in West-Pac

I can confirm this from a friend's account of his trip to Thailand.
Asia and the Pacific tend to have almost completely unregulated use of
VHF frequencies -- if their radios will transmit on a frequency, they'll
use it.  There is also nothing even vaguely resembling a band plan or
frequency coordination even among 'official' radio services -- police,
fire, etc. -- if you need to talk on the radio with someone, you agree
beforehand on a frequency that isn't too crowded and you go there.  Sort
of like Mexico, but less organized.

An unrelated but amusing little factoid from the same region is that the
King is frequently pictured talking on or at least holding an HT.
Apparently they're considered tokens of power .. ;-)