Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 13:56:48 +0800
From: Pat Snyder
To: Bob Bruninga <bruninga@usna.edu>
Subject: PCSat reception reports

[Bagabag Phillipines]

The station here is not so advanced as to have an automatic gateway.  It is
an ICOM IC-910H with an old MFJ-1270B attached.  I am logging the passes on
a '486 laptop using HyperTerminal. My antenna is an ICOM DiskCone at about
15 feet.

As an aside -- The use of VHF frequencies over here is very different than
in the US or Europe.  It is pretty much "anything goes - anywhere".  There
is an amateur service with its allocation (144 to 146) but in reality if
someone has a radio (and many do), they can transmit anywhere they want -
from 130 to 175 Mhz.  In fact there are some folks camped out on 145.825.
Fortunetly they are not too active so it hasn't been much of a problem
monitoring PCSat.  Perhaps some of my beacons to the bird will encourage
them to find another frequency.

Pat