USB to serial adapters

Roy Welch wrote:

	> Those of you who have replaced an old PC which had two serial ports may
	> have noticed that some of the new ones are coming out with only one serial
	> port.  The USB and firewire ports are taking over the job.  Unfortunately,
	> I have not seen any TNCs around that interface with anything but serial
	> ports.  Therefore it is necessary to find a way to add a serial port
	> somehow if you need additional ones.

Wayne replies:

I decided to get a 4-port USB-to-serial adapter so I would have lots of ports for a TNC, radio control, PTT and CW keying, digital camera, etc.  Mine is more expensive than a 4-port PCI card, but it gives me more flexibility in the future.  For instance I could use it with a laptop computer that doesn't have PCI slots.

http://keyspan.com/products/usb/usa49w/ <http://keyspan.com/products/usb/usa49w/>

I had difficulty getting my computer to reinstall the serial adapter after upgrading to Win XP.  But it does work with Win XP, as well as Linux 2.4 and Mac OS 8.6 or greater.

I bought mine for $140 at CDW because the showroom is very near my house.  Their main business is mail order, though.

http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.asp?EDC=275321 <http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.asp?EDC=275321>

I couldn't get InstantTune to work via the USB-to-serial adapter, so I suppose the driver software is not compatible with native DOS programs.  I got around that by controlling my FT-847 via the one serial port that is on the computer.  I don't use InstantTune much nowadays because I like the Doppler tuning capability of SatPC32.

Wayne Estes W9AE
Mundelein, IL, USA