Logging satellite QSO's

Tracy K7KCS wrote:

I tried using the standard log book format to log my first QSO via a satellite (AO-40) and found the format insufficient to document the contact.  Same thing when I went to QSL.

Wayne W9AE replies:

The customary method to fill out a QSL for a satellite contact is to write the satellite name and satellite mode in the "Frequency" field.  For instance "AO40 U/S2".

My logging program (LogWindows) does have a field for entering the satellite name, but not the satellite mode.  "U/S2" is not accepted as a valid frequency.  It's not a problem for me because I don't operate more than one mode on any satellite.  I know what the actual mode is, even if it's not recorded in the log.

There is one major bug with satellite logging in LogWindows, though.  It incorrectly credits satellite contacts towards all "Mixed" awards.  Satellite contacts don't count towards any non-satellite awards such as DXCC, WAS, VUCC, WAZ.

Wayne Estes W9AE
Mundelein, IL, USA