RE: PCsat GPS is ON and working well!

On Fri, 11 Jan 2002, Tom Clark (W3IWI) wrote about the PCsat GPS data:

> >From the limited data I looked at, I see posting from two windows with good,
> usable data. The first window had 6 points between 15:52 to 15:57 with 10-12
> satellites in lock over Europe. The second window ran from 23:09 to 23:17
> with 6-8 satellites in lock over the US. Data from both windows looks very
> good.

THe data is available continuously (LIVE) from around the world via any of
the APRS HUBS (See end of this message for a discussion on which
hubs are the more reliable)(Telnet to second.aprs.net or...

> As an aside, the $GPGGA message is designed for driving boat on the water,
> and it really is the best scheme for an orbiting satellite.

The raw MITEL data comes down on 144.39 at 9600 baud but since we do not
have anyone listening there at 9600 baud feeding live to the APRS network,
after several days of no collected data, we decided to just shift it to
1200 baud and the single $GPGGA on 144.39 where everyone is listening.

If there were dedicated observers that would capture all 9600 baud data on
144.39 in the USA and Europe and elsewhere for this week (we run out of
power on 21 Jan) then we would much rather collect as much of the raw 9600
baud MITEL data as we could..

HOW TO GET THE DATA LIVE: (Answered by Bill Diaz to my question):

  The most reliable connection can vary depending on your location, and
which way the wind is blowing<g>.  I would recommend only AHubEast.net,
AHubCentral.net, AHubWest.net, and second.aprs.net.

You can check http://www.ahubswe.net/ahub.html for AHub statuses and core
servers.  Until recently, this site provided good data on the core servers.
Connection Data is not available from Second anymore after they removed
the ability to access port 14501.  The AHub Stat page no longer shows
connection data for second because of this.

AHubEast (NA4V) has been very reliable.  Mark re-boots every so often,
generally just before he goes out of town.  He has been up for 1.66 days.
 Must be outta town<g>.

AHubWest (KB7ZVA) has been up for 5.63 days.  Dick does beta testing for
me, so he may be up and down.

AHubCentral (N7UKL) has been up for 4.16 days.  Ron cannot get to his
machine on weekends, and it seems that whenever he has a problem with the
Internet, it is on the weekend!

First is not very reliable.  Would not recommend using this unless no other
option is available.  When it is running it provides a reasonalbly clean
feed for aprsd.

Second is the most reliable of the core servers by far.  Also removes much,
but not all garbage.  Reboots once a day usually, but it comes back up bery
quick.

Third is limiting connects to 50 users only.  It stays up for about a day
to 2 days.  Lots of garbage packets, tnc commands etc.  Typical apsd.
------

de WB4APR, Bob