From: bounce-aprssig-23621@lists.tapr.org
[mailto:bounce-aprssig-23621@lists.tapr.org]On Behalf Of Bob Bruninga
Sent: Saturday, 12 January 2002 2:08 PM
To: TAPR APRS Special Interest Group
Cc: TAPR APRS Special Interest Group; amsat-bb@amsat.org
Subject: [aprssig] Re: APRS in the Carribean

On Fri, 11 Jan 2002, Rory wrote:

> I am going on a cruise in a few weeks and plan to take my
> TH D7 and GPS along. We will be visiting Jamaica, Cuba, and Cozumel.
> Is there any APRS activity? What about 2M voice?
>
> I may try PCSat, depending on the passes.
> Any thoughts?

Wow, everywhere on the planet there is HAM activity from space.  You can
use your HT 28 times a day via these satellites:

PCsat              Easy up and down
ISS                very easy up and down IF they are ON
Sapphire           Easy up (but is anyone listening down
Opal (hard to do)  hard up and down (not recommended unless really bored)
UO22               Easy up
UO-14              VOICE Easy up but congested
AO-27              VOICE Easy up but congested (Days only)

ALl of the EASIES can be done with just a 19" whip antenna.  The ones
listed as not easy ARE EASY if you have a handheld 4 element or so UHF
beam.

FOrgetting Opal, that is 6 satellites at 5 passes a day each for a total
of 28 passes a day from anywhere.

As a bonefide DX traveler I will give you access to the PCsat special low
power user uplink so that you can come down on 144.39 so that everyone
will see you!

de WB4APR@amsat.org, Bob

---
You are currently subscribed to aprssig as: andrew.rich@bigpond.com