PCsat GPS is ON and working well!

PCsat is now downlinking $GPGGA positions every 30 seconds on both 145.83
and 144.39 at 1200 baud.  It is maintining lock on 10 to 12 satellties
consistently.  Mobiles should see it in their station LISTS.

As of 1540z the 145.83 side should even see the DIGI ICON with "S" overlay
showing it as a SPACE digiepater.!  We will try to do the same for the
144.39 side but that wont be able to reconfigure till 1900z.

To better get the attention of folks we may again shift the callsign from
W3ADO-1 to PCSAT-1 so that it is more noticible on their mobile displays.
W3ADO-1 will still be supported as an ALIAS.

After some initial experimenting yesterday, this morning we enabled the
GPS to downlink $GPGGA on both 145.83 and 144.39 and switched B to 1200
baud.  And after uploading new  KEPS to the GPS engine on board, it got
lock in 5 minutes.  In full sun and with 9600 UHF RX's off we are in
steady state at about 12.5 volts per cell.

This sun should last through 21 Jan and so we hope to keep the GPS on
throughout.  But toward the end, we may have to turn the GPS off on some
orbits if batteries go much lower...

I think it is safe to say that we will not use the 9600 baud UHF receivers
on PCsat any more and so long term users should plan on all sharing the
1200 baud uplinks.  This is because they must be off in eclipse to save
power, and while in full sun, having them off gives us just enough
additiinal power to keep the GPS on all the time.  Therefore, there is
little benefit to playing with the UHF uplink.

Still we solicit any one with a special need or application, or remote
travelers to apply for additional special access, messaging and modes...

de WB4APR@amsat.org, Bob