Non APRS packets on PCsat

On Fri, 11 Jan 2002, Arnold 'Arnie' Johnson  had a nice PCSAT pass up the
east coast [USA]:

> N8TLV - coord. put him about St. John's, Newfoundland at 1000 miles.
> K4MLS-1 - 1113 miles
> W2KQ - no position, not in LIST, but with MSG.
>
> Also saw a G4??? & EI???? but neither show up in the LIST on my TH-7Ag. Too
> bad. Those would have been nice for distance. Maybe in the future!

Yes, if they would use APRS or GRID Square formats then all of the mobiles
and handhelds  would capture them.  As it is, the display only flashes
their callsign  with a "??" and nothing else.  So a lost opportunity for a
contact...

For stations not running APRS or Kenwoods APRS radios, the easiest format
to  use will be the GRID formats.  Here are examples for FM19SS

[FM19SS] comment goes here
>FM19SS/- comment goes here

THe first one is the old GRID format (Must be 6 bytes with brackets)
The second one is the new Grid format and the /- indicates a HOUSE Icon.
Other Icons are

/> car
/< motorcycle
/[ walking person with HT
/; Tent (portable)
/Y Sailboat
/V ATV station
/^ Airplane
/s Boat
/j Jeep
/R Recreation Vehicle
/t ruck
/v Van

And the THD7 can only display 20 chars of comment text but the D700
can display 28 characters.

de WB4APR, Bob