Re: Digital Radios

>but they failed to tell you that the bread
>and butter voice service would suffer far more from dropped calls than you

  IMHO, the real reason behind the dropped calls on the digital
phones is the lack of the static, and the subtle signal strength
information it provided.    In the analog days, you could
easilly find a hot-spot simply by moving your head (or car)
to minimize the static, and/or just talk through the static.

  The newer phones just drop out completely without warning.
(The audio fidelity is lousy too.).

  Also,  the older analog cellphones typically had the luxury
of an outside (on/car) antenna, which improved reception
dramatically.

  Other than the dramatically increased battery life,  I see
little benifit from the digital phone.  However, in fairness,
the analog system simply couldn't support the volume of
customers that the digital system does, which is a situation
somewhat analagous to where we are with the FM LEO satellites
at the moment...

  -al
  WB1BQE

  I hate my digital phone (other than the battery life.)