RE: Re: Digital Voice Via Satellite

> > There is the UK ham who built a digital voice system that uses the AMBE
> > vocoder and runs at 2.4 kbps (3.6 kbps with FEC).  His modem was a 36
> > tone
> > multi carrier modem (with QPSK on the individual carriers), IIRC.
> > Signalling rate was 50 baud.
>
> Ah.  If he has gotten the signal bandwidth within a typical 300-3kHz
> channel, then I'm very interested, especially if it shows up in QST or
> QEX sometime soon.

[snip]

Ah Bruce, here it is barely 2002 and you're falling quickly behind :-).

The article "Practical HF Digital Voice" was reprinted in QEX May/June 2000.
Charles presented his system at the 1999 ARRL/TAPR Digital Communications
Conference in Phoenix, AZ.  It was also in the March Radcom magazine.

You can read the article on the ARRL TIS web pages at

    http://www.arrl.org/tis/info/digivoice.html

For those just joining the thread, be sure to read Doug Smith's KF6DX
article Digital Voice Primer in the January 2002 QST.

Enjoy!

73,

- Steve, N7HPR
  (n7hpr@tapr.org)