Re: Re: Digital Voice Via Satellite

On Tue, 8 Jan 2002, Bruce Bostwick wrote:

> > There is the UK ham who built a digital voice system that uses the AMBE
> > vocoder and runs at 2.4 kbps (3.6 kbps with FEC).  His modem was a 36
> > tone multi carrier modem (with QPSK on the individual carriers), IIRC.
> > Signalling rate was 50 baud.

and for what it is worth, I still have 5 of those brand-new Harris 39 tone
HF modems that I bought years ago.  These are rack mount and are about 7
inches high with a front panel dial for 75 up to 2400 baud.  These things
originally went for something like $30,000 each but sombody sold about 100
of them surplus several years ago for $100 each.  Problem is shipping
would be almost that much... (mine are in Maryland)...

de Wb4APR, Bob

de WB4APR@amsat.org, Bob