Re: TV aerial rotator question - reply

At 07:22 08/01/2002 +1000, you wrote:
>First, thank you for the huge number of replies. I wondered how the
>controller's pointer moved and I never thought of a second motor. Anyway, my
>worst fears have been confirmed, so it's back to the drawing board.
Snipped....

Phil,
what order of pointing accuracy do you want? I ask this because I have used
my stock set up for more years than I care to remember with excelent
results for LEOs and terrestrial VHF/UHF weak signal work. The odd
Stop-to-stop and cal against the moon (much easier than the sun!!!) is all
that seems to be required.

On the other hand, if you want auto control, how about 1 turn from a multi
(5?) turn pot. Or maybe a Gray Code position sensor, or count shaft
rotations of the motor with a Hall-effect or optical-interupt sensor?

An engineer mate of mine said you could do it with unequal length arms,
which he described as "linear gears." What about belts/pullys, say from a
discarded tape deck.

let me know how u go. I've battled this same problem and finished up doing
nothing!

Norm, VK2XCI
Voice of The Edge of The Outback
njmcmillan@bigpond.com