Re: CP Patch Antennas? {YUP}

Clair,

There are several different configurations for a microstrip patch antenna.

The design that the "G3RUH" patch uses, circular, typically needs two
feedpoints (if someone knows how to do it with one, let me know) to make it
CP.

Rectangular patches can be made circular by making one side longer than the
other by making the patch so that the one side is -j50 and the other is +j50
Ohms. (90 degree phase shift)  Then the patch is fed on (through the
dielectric) the appropriate diagonal to make the LHCP needed for a RHCP dish
feed.  The opposite diagonal would produce RHCP on the patch (for a LHCP
dish feed, the sense changes on reflection).

A (symmetrical) square patch can be made circular by "cropping" the corners
at the appropriate point on one corner, and the corner opposite to that
corner, the cropping being the correct dimensions at a 45 degree angle on
each "crop".  What this does is provides electrically a 90 degree phase
shift, and a secondary mode is generated on the axis of polarity that isn't
the one being directly fed.  The directly fed axis is just like how you'd
feed a linear polarization patch, in the center of the patch in one axis, up
the center line at the point that is the 50 Ohm match, through the
dielectric.  Woo Boy, I don't know if that description can do it or not....

Of course one can feed two sides of a square patch 90 degrees out of phase
(two feedpoints) on the edges for CP as well.  This is commonly how patches
are fed on PC boards or in arrays.

Anyway, one other interesting thing I've noticed is that if you want to make
a patch be DC grounded, the way the "through the dielectric" feed works is
that at either end of the patch (or the outside diameter of a circular
patch) the high current part is at the edges.  The high current part is the
radiating part of the antenna.  So a square patch can be grounded in the
center with a small grounding post and not effect the patch much (the
dimensions change a little due to the fact that the short is not of
infinately small diameter).  This also explains why feeds like the
multi-band ones at W0LMD's site
http://www.ultimatecharger.com/dish.html work with a higher frequency patch
in front of the lower frequency one.  As long as the edges are exposed, most
or all of the radiation isn't blocked.

As far as "scalar rings" go-- on a dish they block (actually reflect, if
they blocked the G/T ratio would suffer) the sidelobes or overillumination
that a feed would produce on a dish.  The "scalar ring" dimension is
dependant on the f/d ratio of the dish the patch will be mated to, and
ideally (and no one's done this yet, afaik) should be made adjustable on a
feed.

I hope this explains patches and patches used as dish feeds.  It's currently
about all I know about them.  And I'm sure there are others out there that
know a LOT more about this than I do....

OH, BTW, I'm going to release my drawings of the two different types of
patches I've come up with as soon as I finish network analyzing the
"cropped" corner, DC grounded design I'm currently playing with.

73, Fred W0FMS