Re: Local Noise on 2.4 GHZ

> Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2001 01:56:43 -0500
> From: Dan Schultz <n8fgv@AMSAT.Org>
> Subject: Re: [amsat-bb] Local Noise on 2.4 GHZ
> 	[...]
> That would seem to be the Big Question.... Does this rule that
> "protects" us have any teeth? Has anyone, anywhere (in the USA) ever
> gotten a part 15 user to discontinue operation of the device after
> reporting interference? Or did your neighbor just laugh right in your
> face?

The FCC chased after Darwin Networks in the Dallas area, which was
providing commercial Internet service using 2.4 GHz LAN equipment.
You can read the ARRL news article:

	http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2001/02/15/2/

Or the FCC's letter to Darwin Networks:

	http://www.arrl.org/news/enforcement_logs/2001/0215.html

Or even Dave Farber's forwarding of Dewayne Hendricks' e-mail:

	http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/
	200102/msg00047.html

I don't know what the final outcome this matter, or even the current
status of Darwin Networks (which was in Chapter 11 prior to the FCC
action).  It did, however, attract some attention:

	www.educause.edu/ir/library/pdf/NET0014.pdf

Note that this is the only FCC enforcement action related to 2.4 GHz
LAN equipment of which I am aware (which, of course, doesn't mean there
are other cases).  Contrast this with the gazillions of enforcement
actions against [licensed] amateurs.

My personal feeling is that if FCC enforcement actions against
2.4 GHz wireless LAN equipment (in response to amateur complaints)
became commonplace, that amateurs would most likely loose in the long
run.  While the FCC may try to push wireless LANs to 5GHz, I suspect
that if push comes to shove that wireless Internet access for millions
of users/voters will be found to be more in the public interest than a
few hundred amateur satellite users.

-tjs