Re: Local Noise on 2.4 GHZ

Hi

The ARRL reported 15 Feb 2001 that the FCC stepped into a interference
problem between a ISP on 2.4 gHz and a Ham using 2.4 gHz ATV down Dallas
TX way .
Wide band versus wide band it would appear.    The final result of the
action is not known.
The FCC asked the ISP what it intended to do about the interference .

I have a personal interest because :

I also use a 2.4 gHz ISP service .    Too which is added a Radio shack
2.4 gHz Video / audio system to enable two TV's on my DirecTV satellite
link.   Additionally I use a 418 mHz extention to the DirecTV remote
control so I can control the second TV in another room.   That device is
also Radio Shack.
As far as interference ,  When I transmit with the PC it does show up as
burst lines across the TV screen and you can hear it popping in the audio
on the TV .    The TV is next ( 7 ft ) to the computer .  This
interference is so short of duration that I don't mind it normally.
If I am down loading a large file the duration increases.    Santa  (
bless his cotton pickin heart ) delivered and hooked it all up for this
old man.  grin     As far a AO-40 ,  I radiate 100 mw less the
attenuation of 50 ft of LMR 400 to a POP 15 mile away .
My RF link is not looking at my AO-40 antennas whiich are about 75 feet
away.    The AO-40 antenna does look in the same direction as the POP but
generally is higher elevation in that direction.      So far that has
been no  recognizble interference on my 2.4 gHz AO-40 down link.     I
run vertical polarizatrion on the ISP and CP on the down link.     The
down link antenna is a 32 inch solid with three turn helical prime feed .
The ISP is a 36 inch non-truncated linear polarized dish with a splash
plate backed verrtical dipole .

Time will tell about all this magic that the FCC believes can be mixed on
the same frequencies.
I have been wondering when the 2.4 gHz up link is to be used on AO-40
because that will no doubt begin a problem somewhere.     The up link
frequency is in the middle of the ISP channel here.

73's

Joe  K0VTY