Re: Old (without PC) tracking ?

William, Gang

"William Leijenaar" writes:

> I am looking for some way to predict satellite passes without use of an
> computer system. I have read about some system that worked with pen, paper
> (map) and ruler.

In Britain this is called an OSCARLATOR. It uses a polar projection map
(thats a great-circle map centred on the pole) and there is a sample map
inside the back cover of the "Satellite Experimenters Handbook" along with
a description in one of the chapters.

You use clear plastic overlays which change for each satellite with one
(the range circle) centred on your QTH and the other (the orbital path)
centred on the pole. This works fine for LEO but I'm not aware of one for
the phase-3 orbits.

73 and Seasons Greetings
Richard W L Limebear G3RWL
g3rwl@amsat.org