Re: AO-40 current ALON/ALAT

In a message dated 12/24/01 9:38:08 AM Eastern Standard Time, K5OE@aol.com
writes:

> Conditions under the new ALON/ALAT are about what Stacey predicted--good
>  shortly after perigee.  Yesterday I noticed the signals on both U-uplink
and

>  S-downlink peaked for me between MA=50 and MA=70.  In fact, some of the
>  stronger US, OZ, and DL stations were a solid 58 or 59 signal report here,
>  compared to some difficult copy just an hour before at MA=35.  And I was
>  tripping LEILA, a rare occurrence with my small antennas.  Although the
>  squint was barely under 15 degrees for me, the range was less than 45,000
>  km--making a BIG difference.

Hi Jerry,

I was seeing very good conditions yesterday when I copied the ALON/ALAT
telemetry numbers. Today at 1555 UTC, conditions are so so. 22 degree squint
and range of 61,600 km right now. CW qso's, piece of cake. SSB rough but can
be done. Telemetry is copyable, but blocks are getting corrupted due to spin.

FYI, I'm taking down the Meyers grill dish here. G3RUH patch and solid dish
going up. I expect 3 things to happen:
1.) Increase signal due to circular polarization
2.) Decreased noise due to less over illumination/better dish-feed match.
3.) Slight performance gain due to DB6NT preamp being mounted directly at the
feed eliminating 3' RG-8 jumper on Meyers Dish.

I'll let you know how it comes out and send you a picture.

73,
Mike, N1JEZ
AMSAT #29649
Local Area Coordinator