Re: Repeators in Space

Repeaters would not decrease the time it takes a signal to reach
Earth from a distant point.  The time required is simply the distance
divided by the speed of light, it is unaffected by signal strength.
The value in a repeater is the ability to compensate for signal
attenuation due to path loss.

Hope this helps,

John  WA4WDL

>Hope to get some comment going about this , but I have been wondering : how
>long did it take a signal to reach the moon from earth or vice versa during
>the Apollo missions ?  As well, how long does it take a signal to reach our
>Mars probes and landers that we have had ?  Do you think it might be
>possible in future missions to place machines in space that would act as
>repeaters between distant places so that we might cut or eliminate the time
>that it takes for a signal to reach earth ?  From listening to Sputnik 41 ,
>I understand that there were amazing things that could be done with just 500
>miliwatts while it was in our orbit.  Just think what we might do with such
>a "space buoy " like a 30 or 50 watt-er placed between us and some distant
>location.
>Every dream has to be born some place.  These are the thoughts that lead to
>invention, don't you think ?
>     73' and Merry Christmas
>      de ' KF4FQT
>
>----

John M. Franke
TCPO Senior Technologist
Assistant Center Export Administrator
SBIR Senior Scientist
Facility Coordinator
M/S 200
Bldg. 1229, Rm 133B
NASA Langley Research Center
Technology Commercialization Program Office
Hampton, VA 23681-2199

N37 05.270   W076 22.832

Voice:	757 864 4623
Fax:	757 864 8314