Re: AO-40 current ALON/ALAT

On Sunday 23 December 2001 06:43 pm, Douglas Cole wrote:

> On Sunday 23 December 2001 13:38, Mike73@aol.com wrote:
> > From Oscar 40 2135 UTC 12/23/2001
> >
> > M  QST AMSAT OSCAR-40                                2001-12-23
> > ALON/ALAT= 341/-10 on 2001-12-23, ALON decreasing 14 deg/week
> >        *** See N-block for schedule. NOTE: MB->S2/KTx  ***
> >             *** Middle Beacon OFF during RUDAK ***
> >
> > Happy Holidays!
> >
> > 73,
> > Mike, N1JEZ
> > AMSAT #29649
> > Local Area Coordinator
> > "A closed mouth gathers no feet."
>
> Thanks Mike for the update , now does anyone know how to input negative
> alat in the mtrack program ?
>
> It is not too happy when I try to input negative anything :(
>
> Happy holidays everyone !
>
> - --
> Douglas Cole N7BFS
> Spokane IRLP node owner
> AMSAT#26182
> http://www.users.qwest.net/~cdoug3

Doug,

I treat mtrack just like the old version of IT, I do the following:

Add 180 to ALON and if result > 360, subtract 360
Reverse the sign of ALAT

Current Example:

ALON 341
ALAT -11

Enter values for mtrack:

341 + 180 = 521. 521 - 360 = 161. Enter 161 for ALON

-11, reverse sign 11. Enter 11 for ALAT

I find these values to be in the ballpark. There isn't complete agreement for
squint to InstaTrak, the error is about 3 degrees at times, but they are
usable. There is still something wrong with mtrack to cause this much error,
and there may be a problem entering a negative value for ALAT, but I haven't
had to do that yet. I'm chatting with Jonathan about the problem, and
hopefully he will fix it, esp if there is a problem with negative values that
have to be entered for ALAT when necessary. 73
--
hasan schiers, N0AN
schiers@netins.net