PCsat mobile OPS

I rarely get to operate PCsat mobile but being on XMAS travel, I got to
listen to 3 passes yesterday.  I was very disappointed at my reception on
my 5/8 wave normal mobile set-up with my D700.  I quickly put a 19" whip
on my D7 HT and held it out the window (in 25 deg temps) and copied PCsat
almost 10-to-1 better!

Now I konw that the 5/8 wave has a null above about 15 deg and then a
- 6 dB lobe above about 45 degrees, but I thought its better gain at the
horizon would help when PCsat was low (40% of a pass is below 15 deg)...

PCsat was designed to wrk with an HT (it does) but this mobile performance
was a shock.  Maybe its just my rat-shack antenna?  ANyone else have any
experience on their mobiles?

My wife's car has a 19" center roof whip and I think it performs much
better, but I never get to use it...

de WB4APR, Bob