Re: Mystery effect

At 07:00 AM 21/12/2001 -0500, you wrote:

>The common radiometers with black and white vanes are not enclosed in a
>vacuum.  There is a low pressure atmosphere in the glass dome.  The vanes
>actually rotate the reverse direction to what photon recoil would
>predict.  The vanes are driven by the gas atoms recoiling from the
>different temperature vane surface.

I remember studying this phenomenon in high school physics when learning
the proof that light can act as a stream of particles, and going through
the different experiments that were used to test the theory.  I found the
radiometer fascinating, because of the "reverse effect", due to the
pressure of heated air molecules on the dark side of the vanes.

73 de Tony, VK3JED