Re: Mystery effect

Only at perigee, and then all they would get would be a bright streak
in one or two frames of the video, if AO-40's orbit came anywhere
near that of the ISS.  AO-40 is going so much faster at perigee than
a satellite in circular orbit at that altitude that you would
literally miss it if you blinked at the wrong moment.

Bear in mind, too, that an object the size and mass of AO-40 would
have almost as much kinetic energy as its weight in high explosive if
it actually hit the station, so my guess is that NASA would be very
skittish about allowing a pass close enough to see any detail even
with an ultrahigh speed camera ..

--
<BGB>