Digital Voice Via Satellite

Hi All,
 I just finished reading an article in the latest CQ about the Alinco
DJ-596 dual band (2m-70cm) ht that has both analog and digital voice
capabilities. It got me wondering  if the digital mode that this rig
uses, could be used on any of the VHF-UHF birds.
 Being "digitally challenged", I don't know if  the ITU-TV.32 (whatever
that means) protocol that the radio uses for digital voice, is usable on
any of the satellites. I also don't know if this would be an efficient
use of the limited  bandwidth that is available. It's my understanding
that voice via 1200 or 9600 baud packet, is not as efficient a mode when
compared to analog voice.
 If this is one of those," square peg in a round hole" questions. Please
be patient. You never learn if you don't ask.
 73 de Doug KA8QCU