Apollo 8 (was: Re: New pictures from SCOPE on AO-40)

Jim Jerzycke <kq6ea@pacbell.net>

 wrote:

>Thanks for all the good work guys! Kinda reminds of the "Earthrise"
>photo taken from Apollo 11. Absolutely amazing that a bunch of
>"Amateurs" can do this kind of stuff.

The image you're thinking of is NASA image number
68-HC-870, taken on 29 December 1968.
 As the date
suggests, it's an Apollo 8 image.

By July 1969 such views were almost commonplace, but
in December 1968 such an image was unprecedented. I was
just a kid at the time, but I still remember what a
splash it made.

Have a look at <http://grin.hq.nasa.gov> and search
for "earthrise".

Grid: CN89lg                    pied a terre..."
ICBM: 49 16.57 N 123 0.24 W        - Hospital/Shafte