Re: Oribt numbers and NORAD keps

The last time this came up on amsat-bb there was discussion from Tom Clark
and others indicating:
- There is no agreement among various agencies on how orbits should be counted
- NORAD just doesn't care about orbit numbers and doesn't use them for
anything they do
- There is no assurance orbit numbers in their elements sets will stay
consistent
- They aren't going to change they way they handle them

Based on that background I didn't bother to call my contacts in the
analysis group at US Space Command regarding the AO-40 orbit number.

I'd suggest using orbit numbers is risky and if you want to be specific
about when something takes place or is about to, use the UTC date/time.

Jim
jim@coloradosatellite.com