Fw: AO-40 orbit 519

Signals were much weaker than they have been.
An ALON/ALAT of 356/-10 gave me a squint of 15 at best.
That makes it very difficult for me to make an L-Band contact.
I still managed to work DM2GFN at 1830 UTC.
I then quit due to the weak signals & relatively high squint.
Both of our signals were very weak due to the squint.
My L-Band is 20 watts to a 23 El M2 18.4 Dbi antenna.
73 Rick
Subject: [amsat-bb] AO-40 orbit 519

Hello all AO-40 users,
on orbit 519 AO-40 was not silent between MA70 and MA87 and we had a nice
time window between Europe and USA from 15 to 19 h UTC. I expected to hear
many many stations from the US because it was sunday daytime, nobody had to
go to work and even the church will not last very long. So I was checking
the
band, listening for cq calls and calling cq myself. Finally I could work at
16:22 KE4AZN with whom I made in July his 1st AO-40 contact already.
It'been nice to meet him again. At 16:34 I worked W3PM and at 17:26 came
W5UHQ into my log. Further I heard two W7 stations working Europe in CW.
That was it. May it be that all the many others from which I read in this
forum that they have finished their AO-40 istallation and are ready to
operate via AO-40 have already given up because of the coming wintersleep of
the sat?

73,
 Reinhard (aka René)
 DJ1KM