Re: Doppler and Light Speed

-----Original Message-----
From: James Alderman, KF5WT <kf5wt@verizon.net>
To: amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org <amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org>
Date: Sunday, December 16, 2001 10:23 AM
Subject: [amsat-bb] Doppler and Light Speed

<SNIP>

>Here's the question:  Am I right that RF does increase in speed?  If so,
>where does the energy come from which accelerates the waves?

Light  and radio waves definitly slow down and speed up as they enter
and exit different materials.   With light, this is the princple by which
lenses and prisms  work.    There isnt any change in energy associated
with the change in the speed though.   The energy of a unit of
light or radio wave is proportional to its frequency, not its speed.   The
frequency doesnt change as it enters or exits different materials so
the energy is the same.    I guess you can look at it this way:  since
light has no mass, it doesnt require energy to increase its speed.

Disclaimer -- I'm not a physicist .....

                                               Jim    kb3kj@amsat.org