Re: Re: N3IYR S-Band dishes

Yeah, I have read his site and didn't catch that.  If that is really the
case, that isn't the "best feed" then is it?  I think the "tone" of that
site its what got me going-- and I was having a bad day anyway. Nothing is
new there, and yet there are claims of "secret design feed" (yeah it is
there on the site) and "best" all over the place.

But, I did say it didn't seem too expensive to someone who wants to
"appliance operate".  And it doesn't.  But the message I was replying to
asked our individual opinion.  And I gave mine... geeze...

And, BTW, I've *never* said it was too hard or too expensive to get on
AO-40.  It's easier than getting on low-band HF, IMHO.. and not much more
expensive if you are willing to experiment.  And much more fun, BTW.

Anyone who wants to throw their BBQ away (on that site) can give it to me
instead... Those dishes are great for portable terrestrial microwave rover
gain antennas, or point to point links.  Oh, but, again, roving takes
effort...

I guess what the group can get out of my experience is that it is easy to
get 90 cm dishes for less money, and there are better feeds than helical
feeds.  The patches work better in almost all cases.  For a half hour of
work and $75 you can get a 3' offset fed dish and build a patch to fit.  The
patches are really easy to build.  I'm still perfecting mine, but I will
release DETAILED instructions on how to build two to three different
variations I've tried shortly after the first of the year.

Fred W0FMS