Re: N3IYR S-Band dishes

Hmm.. If the feed is indeed a "special secret feed", it might be a good idea
for someone out there who has one to have it X-Rayed, for the good of the
rest of us poor amsat-bb folkes.

I bet it is just a Helix feed.  It looks about the right size for that.  If
so, a patch feed might still be better from what has been observed by
others...

There are many little "Free-To-Air, DVB" houses out there that sell 90 cm
(3') offset dishes like that for about $50-$75* for Ku band Digital TVRO.
Primestar dishes are about the same size-- for free.  It's a pity that this
guy doesn't want to sell the "magic feed" by itself though.  But, for $150
it doesn't look like too bad of a deal for those of you out there who want
an "appliance" antenna.

To quote Art Collins (May 1925, age 16):

"The real thrill in amateur work comes not from talking to stations in
distant lands ... but from knowing that by careful and painstaking work and
by diligent and systematic study you have been able to accomplish some feat,
or establish some fact that is a new step toward more perfect
communication."

Such is my philosophy toward ham radio, and why I don't like the idea of
"secret feedhorns"...

Fred W0FMS

* Some that I know of:  http://www.smallear.com,
http://www.emantechnology.com, http://www.satcruiser.com

Haven't bought anything from any of them, so don't know reliability.