Re: Beacon Strength

Alberto,Hilton and all,

I guess I may as well throw in my two cents worth.

A number of years ago, one of the HF RX manufacturers tried to standardize
his receivers with a 6 db increment between "S" units.  There was a lot of
interest in the ham community at the time.  It never worked out. I think
for several reasons.  First he couldn't assembly line produce receivers
that had this quality. Second none of the other manufacturers would go
along with the idea.  Third there was no real benefit to having such a
standard.  But the MYTH of 6 db between "S" meter increments was born.  I
cannot remember which company tried this but Hallicrafters comes to
mind...but maybe not.

Several years ago, maybe ten or fifteen or so, I measured my HF RX "S"
meter units to see how it stacked up. This was a TS-440s.  It was no where
near 6 db per "S" unit.  In fact, it wasn't even constant between units.
Out of curiosity, I decided to measure the 2m section of the FT-736R I was
using on AO-13.  It was no where near 6 db and it was not linear either.
About a year or so ago, in an idle moment, I decided to repeat these
measurements on the same FT-736.  They were essentially the same as
several years ago.  I have not tried this on either the 70 cm or the 1.2
Ghz modules in the 736 but I would suspect I would get different results
on each one.  In fact, I suspect that I could measure two 736 on 2 m and
get different results.  Unless you measure your own "S" meter and know
what the increments mean, comparisons are just not valid.

Here are the results of my measurements.

    "S" units        db change

      1-2            2
      2-3            2
      3-4            1
      4-5            2
      5-6            2
      6-7            2
      7-8            3
      8-9            5

I find this useful now to determine when I am approximately 10 db below
the beacon.

73 and Merry Christmas to all.

Jim...W5VZF.

Dr. Jim Akers