(Fwd) Re: N8QGC is hurt

i got this from john today. i just tried calling him but they aren't answering the
phone. will try to call and speak to him later. good news....he is okay but will have
a lot of rehab...read on.... (erin is his xyl)...get well cards or messages to his
home qth might be appropriate.
73...bruce

Hello.  Me and Erin and her mother and brother are ok.  I will have a lot of
rehab ahead of me.  We had just stopped for the night in Cartersville, Georgia
about 45 miles north of Atlanta and started looking for a place to have dinner.
We slowed on route 20, signaled a left hand turn and came t a dead stop.  The
next thing we knew we were flying out of control.  We had been hit at 50 to 60
mph from behind by another driver.  I was immediately paralyzed from the neck
down.  My  mother in law who was seated next to me was trying franticly to get
my dad's mini van stopped.  The van switched into reverse and went flying
backwards accross the highway and struck another car and we stopped.

My wife was sitting behing me and was pinned under me as the driver seat
back had broken and layed down flat on top of her.  I was taken to the
hospital unable to feel or move anything below my neck.  This by far is the
scariest time in my life!

I now have use of both legs and my right arm. My left arm is still
paralyzed.  They think that I'll get it back, but they don't know for sure.
Were battered and bruised, my dad's mini van is totalled but were alive!  It
will be some time before I can operate, don't have enough arms just yet!

I'll let you know how we are.  We are in Florida, hospital transfers and
all.  We are heading back to Michigan late in the week.

Bruce Paige, KK5DO                                      kk5do@arrl.net
Houston, Texas
AMSAT Awards Manager
Houston AMSAT Net - Tuesday, 8PM CST on W0KIE AMC-7, T5,
7.5Mhz