Re: microsats & cubesats

> Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 16:34:42 -0800
> From: Assi Friedman <4x1kx@iarc.org>
> Subject: Re: [amsat-bb] microsats & cubesats
> 	[...]
> Just in case the though runs across your
> mind - forget about an amateur initiative deploying a satellite off the
> shuttle - they don't just take you along.
>
> Over the past several months, a few of us have been looking as finding
> an opportunity for a new project, and the prospects out there are very
> slim....so if you hear of a candle... let everyone know :)

It seems to (if that counts for anything) that finding/facilitating/
coordinating launch opportunities could be a valuable
part of AMSAT-NA's mission (perhaps even more valuable than actually
[coordinating the] building of satellites.  Sort of the "promise to
launch it and they will build it" strategy.

What do you mean by "they don't just take you along"?
That a lot of coordination/procedures/qualification is
required?  (Something AMSAT could undoubtedly learn to assist
with.)  That somebody has to pay for a launch?  (I often
claim that a good story is almost as good as money in these
situations. I assume that AMSAT can learn to help tell a
good story.)  Certainly, the shuttle has launched satellites
under NASA's Shuttle Small Payloads Project
(http://sspp.gsfc.nasa.gov/).  See also Hitchhiker Ejection
Systems (http://sspp.gsfc.nasa.gov/hh/hhejection.html) as well
as some of the missions flown
(http://sspp.gsfc.nasa.gov/flown/flown.html).