Re: AO-40

I have almost the same set up here on my test dish and hear the beacon just fine with NO PREAMP. Might just be your pointing angle is off. You should hear the beacon and SSB if the transponder is on. Also you may not be correcting your rx for the doppler shift as well as the temp drift of the LO in the Drake.

Bill WA2TQI