RE: L-Band antennas - response

Bruce,
I am now using a 15 turn Helix (Home Brew) with an 80 watt brick from DL2AM
( 1.5 watts in / 80 watts out). He also makes a 160 watt brick. If I had it
to do all over again, I would get the 160watt. The Helix yields 15db gain,
so I have an ERP of about 2-2.5kw. This yields a usable L-Band signal. The
receive antenna on AO-40 L-Band is not as generous as the 70 cm antenna,
thus 23cm has a more limited use with poor squint.

I use an Icom 910H for L-Band and my ten watts TPO goes through 130 feet of
coax yielding about 2-3 watts at the tower where I placed the brick. (6'
from the antenna)

I built a 25 turn helix with 3m 1/4" copper tape on PVC pipe. It did not
perform well and so I replaced with the Helix using #10 copper wire around a
Plexiglas support structure. Great VSWR, less weight, and a known
dielectric.

If you look at my URL (www.wmfd.com/w8gsm) the helix you see is the old one.
DO NOT BUILD. NOT GOOD. As soon as my new digital camera arrives I'll update
the site.

You will like L-Band. The little lady has not been turned on yet so you have
fewer interruptions. HiHi

Good luck and we will look for you on AO-40 L-Band

73
Gunther Meisse
W8GSM
AMSAT LM: 594