Re: Re: Yaesu FT-817

>I called Yaesu concerning satellite operation of the FT-817. They connected
>me to a tech who claimed to be familiar with satellite operation. He told me
>that the FT-817 was NOT capable of satellite operation. I specifically asked
>him about full duplex operation, the ability to store crossband frequency
>pairs (half duplex) and cross banding on dual VFO's. He said NO to all
>three.
>
>Does anyone know a satellite operator at Yaesu who I can trust with these
>questions?
>
>73 de Don KC4YRT

 Don, etal:

I have used my FT-817 on both AO-27 and UO-14 with an Arrow antenna, and it
works fine.  Yaesu even gives you programming steps for getting on UO-14.
You cannot listen to your own signal on the downlink, but for the FM-leos
that is no problem.  Instant-Tune works for the FT-817 (I hear) so it
should be usable with higher altitude (read larger doppler) birds.  I think
it is a fine satellite radio.

I alos have an FT-847 and a THD-7A.

ED