From: owner-AMSAT-BB@AMSAT.Org [mailto:owner-AMSAT-BB@AMSAT.Org]On
Behalf Of Bob Bruninga
Sent: Friday, December 07, 2001 2:57 PM
To: Don DeJarnette
Cc: AMSAT-BB
Subject: Re: [amsat-bb] Yaesu FT-817

On Fri, 7 Dec 2001, Don DeJarnette wrote:

> I am considering the purchase of a Yaesu FT-817.
>
> Does anyone know whether this rig is capable of portable satellite
operation
> on RS-12/13, UO-14 or AO-27 ? Any experience with this rig you would like
> relate would be much appreciated.
It is GREAT the 5 minutes I got my hands on one.

I have been asking for similar info on the triband shirt pocket Kenwood HT
with HF-to UHF all mode receiver.   I wanted it for impromptu Satellite
demos.  The 817 is cleary the way to go.  But for portability  I finally
bought one of the TH0F6A's anyway ($375)  and just last night hooked it to
my AO-40 dish and it hears the Beacon just fine.

No, it is not going to be great at it  because the receiver RF-AMP does
not have AGC, so even though it has "sensiitivity" down to -127 dBm, there
is always lots of white noise in the wider filter passband.

So I am not at all saying that it is anything like the 817, but for anyone
else that is looking for all mode RX only for shirt pocket "test" and
"demo" purposes, yes the TH-F6 will receive ALL satellites (with
appropriate antenna of course.  (AO-40 antenna is a 1m dish with AIDC
downconverter.

de WB4APR< bob