Re: Yaesu FT-817

On Fri, 7 Dec 2001, Don DeJarnette wrote:

> I am considering the purchase of a Yaesu FT-817.
>
> Does anyone know whether this rig is capable of portable satellite operation
> on RS-12/13, UO-14 or AO-27 ? Any experience with this rig you would like to
> relate would be much appreciated.

Don:

The radio is fine for a half-duplex satellite rig, assuming you have
adequate antenna gain for the link you need.  It does not have
simulatneous tx and rx, so you need to either operate 1/2 duplex or find
another radio for the other half of the system.

I have one, haven't tried it yet on the satellites but think it would work
fine on the FM birds with an Arrow or other moderate gain antenna.

73,
Steve KA1LM