Re: Yaesu FT-817

On Fri, 7 Dec 2001, Don DeJarnette wrote:

> I am considering the purchase of a Yaesu FT-817.
> Does anyone know whether this rig is capable of portable satellite operation
> on RS-12/13, UO-14 or AO-27 ? Any experience with this rig you would like to
> relate would be much appreciated.

The radio is fine for a half-duplex satellite rig, assuming you have
adequate antenna gain for the link you need.  It does not have
simulatneous tx and rx, so you need to either operate 1/2 duplex or find
another radio for the other half of the system.

I have one, haven't tried it yet on the satellites but think it would work
fine on the FM birds with an Arrow or other moderate gain antenna.

Steve KA1LM

Stephan A. Greene     sgreene@patriot.net        ka1lm@amsat.org
Herndon, VA           1-703-654-6032 office  1-571-233-1194 cell