From: "Estes Wayne-W10191" <W10191@motorola.com>
To: <amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org>
Sent: Wednesday, December 05, 2001 9:55 AM
Subject: [amsat-bb] polarity reversal at low elevations

> I think Richard Limebear wrote (it's getting hard to tell now):
>
> Go for RHCP; The only thing you'll lose out on is that, at  > low
elevation > (say below > 10 degrees), signals get > scintillated to the >
opposite sense so an RHCP signal would get turned round ... > but its not >
usually by a complete turn.

> Wayne replies:
>
> Interesting.  I never knew about polarity reversal at low elevations.  Is
that cause by ground reflection?  If so, it seems odd that the reflected
signal would dominate the non-reflected signal.

> I use a RHCP yagi to receive FO29, and the 70cm downlink signal usually
drops off a cliff below 10 degrees elevation.  I never knew why.  I suppose
I might hear wonderfully if I got a polarity switching relay (and a
mast-mounted preamp).

> I don't remember 2m downlink signals dropping so dramatically below 10
degrees when using a RHCP yagi to receive AO-10/13 or RS-12 (Mode T).