anything is possible

Tony Langdon wrote to O.J. Lougheed in Siberia:

Don't rule anything out. ;-)  Anything's possible... with a bit of ingenuity. :-)

Wayne replies:

Several years ago an American ham got Satellite DXCC using nothing but RS-12.  Of course he took advantage of ionospheric propagation to accomplish this feat using Mode K (uplink on 15m, downlink on 10m).  But it still took considerable planning, propagation study, and careful timing.  The 10m and 15m signals needed to reflect off the ionosphere for part of the path, yet penetrate the ionosphere elsewhere to get to the satellite.  He would frequently contact a DX ham on HF just before a "special" RS-12 pass and ask the DX ham to transmit on a particular 15m frequency and listen on a particular 10m frequency.  He no doubt coached dozens of HF operators into making their first satellite contact.  I can't remember where I read about this.  It must have been either QST or AMSAT Journal.

Wayne Estes W9AE
off the air in Beijing, China until 13 December